District » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

New Family to ZCS

Does the Zionsville Community School Corporation accept tuition for an “out of district” student?

No, we do not accept any type of tuition payment.  Families must reside within the school district boundaries in order to for their children to attend ZCS schools.

If I’m moving to Zionsville, what school will my child(ren) attend?

A student’s elementary and middle school placement is determined by the district area in which they reside. Our boundary map is posted on our main ZCS webpage.  If you are unsure or have questions regarding residency, please call the Educational Service Center at 317-873-2858 to speak with one of our residency specialists:Lynn Kissel (ext. 11230) or Courtney Elefante (ext. 11200).

How do I register my child for school?  Where do I go?  What is needed?

Registration is done at the Educational Services Center, located at 900 Mulberry Street (door 12), between 7:30am and 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.  No appointment is necessary. 

To enroll, you must reside within the district boundaries and provide the following documentation:  
  • TWO pieces of proof of residency – the following are acceptable:  (All documentation is subject to verification.)
    • two original, different current utility bills (e.g.: gas, electric, water, sewer) (Cell phone bill is not acceptable.)
    • OR one original, current utility bill and one of the following:
      • signed rental agreement with date of occupancy
      • signed purchase agreement with closing date
      • signed closing documents, mortgage statement, property tax bill, etc.
      • signed letter from builder (on letterhead) with estimated closing date
  • original birth certificate or current passport
  • immunization records
  • registration form (click here for: kindergarten or all other grades): 

Middle school and high school students: Please provide a copy of most recent report card, test scores, or transcript, if possible. 


Can we take a tour of a school?

Thank you for your understanding that building tours are limited and based on individual school schedules and availability.  Tours do not include teacher contact or classroom visits.  Please call the Educational Service Center at 317-873-2858 to speak to Lynn Kissel regarding tours and other questions.


General Questions


What are school hours?

Preschool:                    8:15 am-2:45 pm
Kindergarten Bridge:    8:00 am-9:00 am   
Kindergarten:               9:00 am-2:30 pm
Elementary:                 8:00 am-2:30 pm
Middle School:             8:45 am-3:45 pm
High School:                8:30 am-3:40 pm


Where can I find school lunch information? 

For information regarding food services options, including cost of school lunches and menus, please visit the Food Service website. 


Can I eat lunch with my child?  Can I bring other family members to eat lunch with my child?

Please contact your building administrative assistant.


We are moving to another school.  What are the withdrawal procedures?  Do I get my textbook rental fees back?

Before you move out of our school district please contact your school’s administrative assistant to sign a withdrawal permission form. Textbook rental fees are refunded on a prorated basis. Consumables and corporation fees are not refunded. Please contact your school treasurer for more information. 


What is the testing schedule for 2018-19?

Click here for important grading and testing dates

Do we need to sign our student in and out for appointments? 

Yes. Please contact your building administrative assistant or refer to your handbook found online here.


What is the best way to notify school that my child is leaving early or will be absent?

Please call the attendance line at your school.   


If I need my child to ride the bus with another student, what do I need to do?

Sorry, but this is not allowed.


Who do I contact if my phone number or email changes?

Please contact your school’s administrative assistant for phone number or email changes. 


Who do I contact if my address changes?

Please contact Lynn Kissel or Courtney Elefante at the ESC and provide two new pieces of proof of residency (see above).  Please allow a minimum of 48 hours for transportation changes.


Who do I contact if I don’t know my PEP login?

Please contact your school’s administrative assistant.


Why am I not receiving text messages for school closings, delays?

If you currently are not receiving text messages and wish to, please contact your school secretary to let them know the cell phone number(s).  In addition, once these numbers are in PowerSchool, you will receive an opt-in text message that you need to respond to.  If your cell phones number(s) were in PowerSchool previously for texting, you may just need to opt-in by sending YES to the SchoolMessenger short code of 68453.


What do I do if I want to volunteer in my child’s school? 

Prior to volunteering in a building, the district requires that you submit a background check application (Indiana State Police Limited Background Check). Please click here for the link, for more information, or to contact Ann Hall, volunteer coordinator. 


Zionsville High School:


What are the high school bell schedules?

ZHS Bell Schedules


Can my child shadow a student at your school?

Yes, an incoming student is allowed to shadow at ZCHS.  Please contact the office at 873-3355 to schedule.


 When is prom?

This year’s prom will be held on April 25, 2020.


When is graduation?

The commencement ceremony will be held May 31, 2020.