- Spring Break and The Week of April 6-10
- Spring break will be extended for families through Tuesday, April 7. (Monday and Tuesday, April 6 and 7 are teacher work days.)
- New eLearning content will be provided on eLearning school days for students on Wednesday and Thursday, April 8 and 9.
- On Friday, April 10, students are off, and teachers have a Friday workday that will become the norm for subsequent weeks.
- The New Abnormal New Normal!
- All school weeks after April 10 will involve eLearning Monday through Thursday.
- Fridays April 10, 17, and 24, and May 1, 8, 15, and 22 are non-student days (unless we get to return after May 1).
- This calendar uses 10 waiver days of the 20 afforded us by the Governor's recent order.
Latest Information-updated 4-2-2020
Earlier today Governor Holcomb issued a new Executive Order of great impact to all Indiana schools. It included:
- All Indiana schools will be closed for in-person instruction for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year.
- Districts will deliver remote instruction for the remaining instructional days.
- School facilities (including grounds and playgrounds) will remain closed until further notice.
- All high school seniors on track to graduate before school buildings were closed in ZCS on March 12, 2020 will be provided with the flexibility needed to earn an Indiana diploma. Others who are close will be assisted with the aim of moving toward completion this year if possible.
I first published a revised calendar on March 20 (shown below) designed to carry us through to the school year’s end if in-person schooling was canceled by state authorities. The March 20 calendar meets state requirements communicated today, and it provides students at all levels our schools’ best possible remote learning opportunities.
Additional notes about our revised school calendar:
- The “Potential make-up days…” reference in the above calendar is no longer relevant.
- ZCS eLearning will resume for two (2) days next week (Wednesday and Thursday) with Friday, May 1, 2020, as a waiver day/non-student day for teachers to complete attendance, grading, and planning.
- During the remaining school weeks through the school year’s end on May 21, eLearning will be provided for students every Monday through Thursday, with Fridays off as waiver days/teacher workdays for attendance, grading, and planning.
Today’s announcement was certainly a sad one, especially for every member of the Class of 2020, many other students, every teacher looking forward to revisiting the relationships they’ve built with students, and parents who are handling so much while working from home and/or enduring pressures of financial strife from the sudden stoppage of much of the American economy.
Thank you to all parents, teachers, counselors, and other campus experts. You have discovered that doing school this way is harder than the other way. Thanks to students who remain resilient and continue working hard toward goals that we still have for academic growth—even while in this different mode of teaching and learning.
ZCS leaders will continue to monitor information relevant to all students at all levels. Campus and teacher communications will augment periodic district updates as April and May unfold for all of us on this novel voyage as partners experiencing history.
More to come in the weeks ahead about the following items and more:
- Details about graduation requirements for seniors
- Information for middle level students and high school (non-senior) students in credit bearing classes currently underway
- Summer Eagle Recreation and Enrollment camps and classes are now on hold until further notice
- Ideas related to electronic Commencement for the Class of 2020
- Information about student materials left in lockers since our closure on April 12
There is just so much more. We will get there. Thank you for your patience. Literally everything is a new set of logistics that we will be building in the coming days.
For now, please also note:
- Teacher and/or counselor eLearning content for students will be made available each eLearning day by 9:00AM via the student learning management system, Canvas, beginning again on Wednesday, April 8, 2020.
- Food assistance is still available with a form for sign-up on the ZCS eLearning web page at https://www.zcs.k12.in.us/apps/pages/elearning.
- SchoolPay News: ZCS cafe auto payments have been turned off so that school lunch customers’ accounts will not be auto charged. (These payments can be easily restarted when the new 2020-2021 school term begins.)
Worry is visited upon all of us at this time—and loss is real, too, from the sting of lost opportunity for senior year traditions, loved ones or friends imperiled right now by CoVID-19 illness, and the interruption of financial stability for so many. Uncertainty is everywhere, but there is a bit of normalcy in school that continues on a predictable schedule with caring teachers and others to support the community’s youth.
ZCS team members care about the community’s children and everyone else. Thanks for being our partners. Thanks for supporting local businesses, public safety pros, and the heroes in health care and science who will ultimately deliver us from this global health menace.
Other Important Notices