Curricular Materials (Textbook Rental and Consumables) Information

Indiana Code (IC 20-26-12) authorizes school districts to assess fees for the use of curricular materials.  Payment for curricular materials (previously called textbook rental) is not included in your property taxes.


Curricular materials are utilized in the classroom to support a student’s learning.  These may include, but are not limited to:  textbooks (paper or electronic) workbooks, classroom novels, online resources, and supplies (ex:  science lab chemicals, art supplies etc.).


Curricular materials are typically comprised of two items – Textbook Rental and Consumable Materials.  Textbook Rental fees are pro-rated based on your student’s entry or withdrawal from ZCS.  Consumable materials are NOT pro-rated.



What are the curricular materials rates for my student(s)?


Fees for elementary school curricular materials are grade-level based.  Middle and high school curricular materials fees vary based on the classes taken by each student.  These fees are based on the actual costs of what is provided to each student either in paper-form or electronically.  Fees are approved by the school board prior to fee notifications being sent. 


Does the curricular materials fee cover the entire school year?


Elementary and Middle School curricular materials fees are billed for the entire school year. High school textbook rental fees are billed twice a year by semester.


How do I find how much my student’s fees are?


Once fees have been assessed, log into PowerSchool and click on the Balance Tab.  Please note that any schedule changes may affect your balance due, so please check your PowerSchool account often.


I plan to move to Zionsville after the start of the school year.  Are the fees the same?


Curricular materials fees (textbook rental only) may be prorated depending on the date your student enrolls in our district.  Fees are calculated on a daily basis.  Consumable material charges (workbooks, novels, supplies etc.) are not prorated.


I need to move out of Zionsville in the middle of the school year.  What happens to my fees?


Curricular materials fees (Textbook Rental) may be prorated depending on the date of your student’s withdrawal.  Fees are calculated on a daily basis. Consumable material charges (workbooks, novels, supplies etc.) are not typically prorated.


What if my student does a schedule change; adds or drops a class?


Curricular material fees will be adjusted in accordance to the student’s schedule of classes.


Consumable charges are typically not prorated unless the schedule change is done prior to the start of the semester.  A schedule change may result in an added charge or a credit balance on a student’s account depending on the student’s class selection(s).


When are curricular materials fees due?


Curricular material fee notifications are sent in stages related to the grade level of your student(s).   It is imperative your email address remains current.  Please contact your student’s school front office to update your email address.  Curricular material fees are to be paid in full within 30 days of receipt.  The typical schedule for fee notifications is:

  • Elementary (PK – 4) – August or September
  • Middle School (5 – 8) – September
  • High School (9 – 12) – October (for Fall Semester) and January (for Spring Semester)

Curricular material (textbook rental and consumable material) fees can be viewed in PowerSchool.  Simply log into your PowerSchool parent account and click on the BALANCE tab on the left side of the screen.  You will see your student’s itemized statement, payments made and current account balance. 

Official fee statements will NOT be emailed.  Parents will be sent a notice via Parent Square once the fees have been assessed and available so that you may log into PowerSchool and view/print your students’ fees.

What are my payment options?


Payments can be made by credit card, check or money order. Your fee notification will outline the various payment methods.  If you do not receive a notification or wish to have a copy of your fee statement, please contact the Business Office at [email protected] or (317) 873-2858 ext. 11270.



You may mail a check or drop off a check to:


Zionsville Community Schools

Attn:  Accounts Receivable

900 Mulberry Street

Zionsville, IN 46077

Please use your student(s) account numbers and/or name(s) in the reference field.

Returned checks will be assessed a $25.00 service fee.

Credit Card:  Please log into SchoolPay (Visa, MasterCard, Discover are accepted) additional fees apply.

Create a new account if you have not used SchoolPay in the past.  Once you are logged in to SchoolPay, scroll down to Textbook Rental and Consumables, enter the amount you wish to pay and follow the check-out prompts.  Please note that SchoolPay is a third party vendor so the amount due on your students account will not populate on the SchoolPay website.  If you have any problems using SchoolPay, please contact them directly at 1-833-731-2600.

You must use SchoolPay if you wish to pay with a credit card, ZCS is not able to process credit cards.

What if I have a credit balance on my account?

If there is a credit balance on a student’s account as a result of a schedule change, overpayment on account, etc., the amount of the credit balance will automatically apply to the new assessed fees.  Credit balances will roll over to the next school year. 

Parents requesting a refund of a credit balance must send a request via email to [email protected]

What if I don’t pay the curricular materials fees?

ZCS will follow up with families whose book rental fees remain unpaid and work on a resolution to ensure the fees are paid in full.  Typically, a monthly reminder email is sent to all parents that have an unpaid account balance.  If you are unable to make your payment in full by the due date, you are encouraged to make incremental payments until the balance is paid in full.  No late fees are assessed.

Zionsville Community Schools works with the TRECS clearinghouse for potential offsets against a debtor’s personal state income tax refund through the Indiana Department of Revenue.  In addition, Zionsville Community Schools uses a licensed collection agency, for the collection of any school fees that are not paid in full by the end of the school year. Accounts sent to collections will incur an additional fee.

What if my student loses or damages a textbook or school-owned laptop?

Replacement books are available, but you will be charged the full replacement price of any book(s) or item(s) which are lost or damaged.  Students receiving textbook assistance must also pay for the replacement and/or repair of materials. 

Curricular Materials (Textbook) Assistance

If you qualify for free or reduced lunch, you are also eligible for free curricular materials.  This however, does NOT include lost or damaged materials.  You must apply for this program EACH school year that you are interested in curricular materials assistance at the following website:

Click on to complete your online application. 

Applications are typically available after July 1 each year.  You will be notified via email regarding your application status beginning the second week of August.  You may apply for fee assistance up until the last day of classes for the current school year.

Questions regarding textbook assistance should be directed to our Food Services department at (317) 873-1232.

Parent Glossary:

PowerSchool (   Student information system used by Zionsville Community Schools.  This is where you can find your students registration, grades, view their class schedule and view their fees, payments made etc.  Please allow 24 hours to view fee balance payments.

SchoolPay ( ): is a 3rd party vendor used by Zionsville Community Schools for credit card payments.  SchoolPay is not tied to PowerSchool so it will not populate the amount due when you log in. 

The typical schedule for fee notifications is:

  • Elementary (PK – 4) – August/September
  • Middle School (5 – 8) – September 
  • High School (9 – 12) – October (for Fall Semester) and January (for Spring Semester)